“Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you...”~1Tim. 4:14a (NASB)
Integrity: The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
According to Forbes.com's November 28, 2012 article by contributing writer Amy Rees Anderson (www.forbes.com), “If I could teach only one value to live by, it would be this: Success will come and go, but integrity is forever. Integrity means doing the right thing at all times and in all circumstances, whether or not anyone is watching. It takes having the courage to do the right thing, no matter what the consequences will be. Building a reputation of integrity takes years, but it takes only a second to lose, so never allow yourself to ever do anything that would damage your integrity.”
Friends, take the time and discipline to develop integrity! Developing integrity means mustering the discipline to live life THE SAME WAY, day in and day out. It means striving to:
- Resist: fear, selfish pride, the desire to be right, the desire to be comfortable
- Rise above mediocrity by considering the effect of: gossip, laziness, deception, stubbornness, bitterness, complaining, resentment, un-forgiveness, sarcasm, meanness, doubt, fear, false humility, and pride in one's life
- Stick by commitments even when it is inconvenient
- Take courage DAILY to display leadership and make hard decisions
- Challenge our own perspective when we feel we have been wronged
- Stretch the definition of love, kindness, honesty, right, wrong, and even integrity, just a bit more than what others may feel is understandable
In a nutshell, living a life of disciplined integrity means pushing the mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical limits of disciplined goodness in order to grow into the greatest life possible! Discipline gives hands and feet to values and passions. Integrity enables those values and passions to touch and speak to everyone we connect with...
Friends if you find yourselves displeased with the impact you are making in your environment, check your Integrity; the lack thereof could be blocking your Greatness!
Next time we will close out this series with the final key to Greatness Displayed: Selfless Sharing. So don't forget to tighten up your Confidence and Integrity, and keep those blinders on...you are running your own race!
"Run Your Race"
I have put the blinders on
I am coming around the home stretch
Finally the race has come down to
the battle between what I have accomplished
and what I am capable of
I have never bet more on the latter
Risking it all has never felt more right
The goal never more in sight
Throwing off weariness, discouragement,
distractions has never been more vital
I'm running my own race now.