"If they hear and serve Him, They shall end their days in prosperity, And their years in pleasures." ~Job 36:11 (KJV)
Do you try to determine what will benefit you the most, or perhaps you strive to please or impress others? Maybe you let emotions take control or attempt to make a logical choice. Wise men and women learn to obey God, and leave all the consequences to Him. There is nothing more important in life than following Jesus and trusting Him to care for your needs.
Obeying God is difficult in the world we live in but we are so much better off by learning through obedience. What we don't learn through obedience…will usually be taught the hard way to us through difficult experiences. So why take yourself through unnecessary difficulties?
The Lord rewarded those who were willing to follow His commands. Look at these faithful biblical characters:
- Noah was asked to build a massive boat—which made him the laughing stock of his community. But he was ready when the flood came.
- Moses, a desert nomad, had to appear before Pharaoh, the leader of a powerful civilization, and demand freedom for the Israelites. Ultimately, the people were allowed to go.
- Joshua was told to march around Jericho for seven days instead of relying on the military tactics he knew. And God destroyed the enemy.
- Nehemiah boldly asked the Babylonian king for supplies to rebuild Jerusalem and received all he needed, including guards to help him safely reach the city.
- In captivity, Daniel and his three friends refused to eat meat because it was not prepared according to Hebrew dietary laws. Yet they were healthier than all the other young men.
- Peter and the apostles refused to stop preaching about Jesus, even though they were threatened with flogging and imprisonment.
As believers, we must believe that God is sovereign…He controls ALL things at ALL times. He is ALWAYS in control! We must trust that He will work for our good in EVERY situation and EVERY circumstance…even if it doesn't make sense. The Bible says we show our love for Him by obeying His commands and not just when they are convenient and desirable. Listen to Him. When you pray, make time to hear what He has to say. Be courageous because obeying God takes courage because following His will often leads to conflict. You must be willing to do what is right anyway. And you must fully surrender to Him.
When you are obedient, you will experience personal victory if you follow His will, even if the world does not consider you a success. Obedience will lead to supernatural peace and joy in every circumstance. Also, spiritual growth and maturity results when believers continue to walk with God in the midst of suffering.
When you are a believer, God may ask you to do something that doesn't make sense from a human perspective. Or He may lead you to give up a hobby or donate a valuable item. He may prompt you to give financially when money is scarce. Or He just might want you to serve in your church or take a leadership role although you feel inadequate…So what do you do? All I can say is there is a BLESSING in being obedient!
When you need to make an important decision, don’t rely primarily on your own reasoning, the opinions of others, or even what worked in the past. Get on your knees before the Lord and pour out your heart. Spend time prayerfully reading His Word. Listen for His voice, and then follow His specific guidance for your life.
Obey God and leave all the consequences to Him. If you will take to heart this one principle, you will have the awesome privilege of watching the Lord accomplish great things in and through you…And believe me, I know… I am a living witness…there is a BLESSING IN BEING OBEDIENT!
Choose to walk this day in obedience and let’s MAKE MONDAY MATTER!